Northwestern's Partnership with IE Law School in Madrid Expands
Law students in Chicago, Madrid can now earn dual degrees via two new programs
- Expansion builds upon 10-year partnership with IE Law School in Madrid
- Focuses on American business law, core business skills and international law’s applications
- Graduates can practice law in Continental Europe, qualify to sit for the New York Bar Exam
CHICAGO --- Northwestern Pritzker School of Law is pleased to announce an expansion of its relationship with IE Law School in Madrid, which will allow students from both institutions to pursue dual degrees in a shorter timeframe.
For the past 10 years, Northwestern Law has partnered with IE Law School in Madrid, Spain, to offer an Executive LLM program for working lawyers. The program focuses on American business law and core business skills and applications to international practice, with accelerated sessions in Madrid and Chicago.
“We welcome this expanded partnership with IE Law School because of the new opportunities for students it creates,” said Daniel B. Rodriguez, dean and Harold Washington Professor at Northwestern Law. “Northwestern is already a leading provider of legal education for international attorneys seeking to understand U.S. law and business. International students and lawyers are integral members of our community, and we are delighted that our U.S. students now have yet another way to study in international legal environments.”
Building on the strength of this partnership, Northwestern Law and IE recently entered into an agreement for two new programs.
- A joint LLB-LLM program will allow students to earn their LLB at IE and their LLM at Northwestern Law. Upon completing the combined program, graduates will be able to practice law in Continental Europe and then qualify to sit for the New York Bar Exam.
- A joint JD-LLM program, to which Northwestern students can apply beginning in 2016–2017, will allow J.D. students at Northwestern Law to use their third year for study at IE to earn an LLM. Northwestern students who spend the year at IE will focus on international and comparative business law.
Students of more than 90 different nationalities study at the highly ranked IE Law School, and its global focus ensures they are well prepared to meet the growing demand for transnational legal professionals.
The Executive LLM Madrid program is one of a series of international executive LLM programs at Northwestern Law designed for professionals who want to earn an LLM on an accelerated schedule. The law school’s other executive programs are made possible through partnerships with KAIST School of Innovation in Seoul, South Korea and Tel Aviv University in Tel Aviv, Israel.