Northwestern University Media Kit
The Northwestern Difference
Northwestern University is a comprehensive research university, established in 1851, that is deeply interdisciplinary across multiple schools and units. Our rigorous yet empathetic academic environment provides a robust mixture of theory and practice, with an emphasis on top-tier research, new knowledge, creative expression, and practical application. If you are at Northwestern, you are part of an innovative, collaborative and multidimensional community, delivering an impact that is rare in higher education.
Downloadable Images, B-roll and fact sheets
Northwestern is one of only three top-10 U.S. universities also ranked in the top 20 in each of the five graduate education categories.
Northwestern Medicine hospital affiliate rankings
Centers and institutes
- 45+ University research institutes and centers
- 90+ school-based research centers
- More than $1 billion in annual sponsored research awards
- Received $449 million in NIH grants, a 86% increase over the last 10 years, ranking Northwestern 16th among top AAU universities
Campuses and locations
Schools and colleges
Scholarships and financial aid
Student body demographics
- 90 majors, plus 90 minors and certificates offered
- 77% of undergrads combine two+ areas of study
- About 50% of students participate in a global learning experience
- 97% of the Class of 2022 was employed, studying on a fellowship or attending graduate or professional school within six months of graduation.
- 7% acceptance rate
- 8,000+ undergraduate students
- 14,000+ graduate and professional students
- 6:1 student-to-faculty ratio
Journalism and IMC
Innovation and entrepreneurship
- Founding member of the Big Ten Conference
- 19 varsity programs (11 women's, 8 men's)
- Northwestern’s 98% NCAA graduation success rate has ranked in the top 4 among Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) schools for 18 consecutive years
- One of five private AAU members/top research universities to compete in NCAA Power Five Conferences
Among Northwestern faculty and alumni are recipients of the Pulitzer Prize, Nobel Prize, MacArthur Genius Grant, Tony Award, Grammy Award, Emmy Award, Academy Award, Guggenheim Fellowship, and membership in the National Academy and numerous other honorary and professional societies.
In addition, Northwestern is one of a handful of universities to appear on every "top producing" Fulbright U.S. Student Program list published by the Chronicle of Higher Education since 2005.