Not seeing the results that match your search? FILTER BY CATEGORY AND FIELD
Dr. Anna Balabanova Shannahan
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Assistant Professor at the Department of Family Medicine
Associate Director of Education at the Osher Center for Integrative Medicine at Northwestern
Areas of Focus
- Integrative medicine
- Wellness and mind-body medicine
- Primary care
- Lifestyle medicine
- Medical education
- Providing integrative medicine consultations to adults and children; combining Western and alternative therapies in an evidence-based way personalized for patients.
- Created lectures and curriculums about integrative medicine
- Creating programming for medical student, resident and physician wellness
- Supervises family medicine residents in clinic
Shannahan served as Chief Resident in Family Medicine at Northwestern and completed two fellowships in integrative medicine, with Dr. Andrew Weil at the University of Arizona and with the Osher Center for Integrative Medicine at Northwestern. As a marathoner, triathlete and figure skating coach who earned a U.S. Figure Skating Association gold medal, Shannahan practices what she teaches and advocates for exercise and healthy diet. She is heavily involved in advocacy on a local and national level, working to bring nutrition and cooking workshops to underserved areas, and she has presented her work at the Integrative Medicine for the Underserved National Conference. She maintains involvement in primary care on a national level with the American Academy of Family Physicians and currently serves as an elected board member of the Illinois Academy of Family Physicians. Shannahan also is a certified Wilderness First Responder and member of the Wilderness Medical Society.