Northwestern University announced Sept. 8 the formation of a search committee to identify its next vice president and chief investment officer. The current leader, William H. McLean, will be stepping down Oct. 16 to take on a similar position at the University of Richmond.
The search committee will be co-chaired by Timothy Sullivan, a trustee who assumed chairmanship of the Board of Trustees’ Investment Committee on Sept. 1, and Senior Vice President for Business and Finance Craig Johnson. The position reports to both the senior vice president for business and finance and to the Investment Committee.
Committee members, drawn from trustees and University leadership, will identify a slate of finalist candidates. A recruitment firm will be retained to assist with the search.
Co-chair Johnson said the committee will contribute valuable insights on the key characteristics and skills of Northwestern’s next vice president and chief investment officer.
“Both Tim and I look forward to receiving the advice and counsel of the committee,” Johnson said.
- Co-chair, Timothy Sullivan: trustee and chair of the Investment Committee; managing director, Madison Dearborn Partners, LLC
- Co-chair, Craig Johnson: senior vice president for business and finance
- T. Bondurant French: trustee and immediate past chair of the Investment Committee; chairman, Adams Street Partners, LLC
- Francesca Cornelli: dean, Kellogg School of Management; Donald P. Jacobs chair in finance; professor of finance
- Lynn Hopton Davis: trustee; co-founder and managing partner, HalseyPoint Asset Management
- Adam Karr; trustee: managing partner and portfolio manager, Orbis Investments (U.S.)
- Therese McGuire: president, Faculty Senate; ConAgra Brands research professorship in strategic management; professor of strategy, Kellogg School of Management
- Wendy Nelson: trustee; chair, Carlson Family Foundation
- David Sachs: trustee; partner and co-founder, Ares Management Corporation
- Louis Simpson: trustee; chairman, Gulf Shore Private Capital, LLC
Ex officio member
- J. Landis Martin: chairman of the Northwestern University Board of Trustees; chairman and managing director, Platte River Equity
- Carol Chen: director of business and finance