Search committee formed to find new chief diversity officer
On June 14, President Morton Schapiro and other senior leaders sent the Northwestern community a message about the University’s commitments toward social justice. One of those commitments is to conduct a national search for the hiring of Northwestern’s next chief diversity officer (CDO), a position that is crucial to ensuring the entire University family — not only communities of color — is engaged in ongoing efforts toward equity and inclusion.
Today, the University announced the formation of a search committee to identify its next CDO and leader of the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion (OIDI).
Interim Provost Kathleen Hagerty said the position is vitally important to the University in its efforts to create an equitable and inclusive community. The incoming CDO will oversee an office dedicated to coordinating efforts to counter racism and exclusion and promote equity and access, she said. In addition, the office provides programs and resources and engages in advocacy for students, staff and faculty of all backgrounds.
“This position and office are important at any time — and especially so when we as a University and a country are grappling with anti-Black racism and the disproportionate and inequitable health and economic effects of a global pandemic,” Hagerty said. “I have confidence that the search committee will be successful in helping us identify an outstanding leader who will join us in our commitments to equity and inclusion.”
The search committee will be chaired by Andrea Bueschel, associate provost for strategy and policy, and Manuel Cuevas-Trisán, vice president for Human Resources. The committee, including representatives from the student body, staff and faculty, will identify and recommend a slate of candidates to the provost.
The Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion was established in 2015 and is situated within the Office of the Provost. OIDI’s mission is to realize an ideal Northwestern where community members are challenged to engage differences as strengths in an environment that ensures equality of access, opportunity, representation and participation.
The search committee will engage with the Northwestern community about its priorities for this office and its leader. Members of the Northwestern community are invited to share feedback, submit questions and recommend candidates by contacting the search committee at CDOsearch@northwestern.edu.
Additional information and a position description can be found on the search committee website.
- Andrea Bueschel, Associate Provost for Strategy and Policy, Office of the Provost (Co-Chair)
- Manuel Cuevas-Trisán, Vice President for Human Resources and Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resources (Co-Chair)
- Linda Broadbelt, Associate Dean for Research, McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences; Sarah Rebecca Roland Professor, Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Aymar Jean Christian, Associate Professor, Communication Studies, School of Communications
- Kate Harrington-Rosen, Director, Equity Outreach and Education, Office of Equity
- Leslie Harris, Professor, History, Judd A. and Marjorie Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences; Co-Chair, Organization of Women Faculty
- Omari Keeles, Assistant Director for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Searle Center for Advancing Learning and Teaching
- Patricia (Patty) Loew, Professor, Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications; Co-Director, Center for Native American & Indigenous Research
- Yael Mayer, Business Administrator, Center for Synthetic Biology and McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences; Vice Chair of University Staff Advisory Council (NUSAC)
- Daviree Velázquez Phillip, Director, Multicultural Student Affairs, Student Affairs
- Baron Reed, Professor, Philosophy, Judd A. and Marjorie Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences; Past President, Faculty Senate; Special Assistant to the Provost
- Soteria Reid, Undergraduate student, School of Education and Social Policy, class of 2021; President, National Pan-Hellenic Council at Northwestern University
- Elizabeth Tsui, second-year Ph.D. student, Driskill Graduate Program; Student Council Co-President, Medical Scientist Training Program
- Damon L. Williams, Jr., Assistant Dean, Diversity and Inclusion, The Graduate School
- Mearah Quinn-Brauner, Director for Strategy and Policy, Office of the Provost
- Lorraine Cassis, Executive Assistant, Office of the Provost