Committee named to seek Buffett Institute executive director
Provost Jonathan Holloway unveils members of the committee to lead national search
The following message was sent Jan. 5, 2018, to faculty and staff at Northwestern University:
Dear Northwestern Faculty and Staff,
A search committee has been formed to identify the next Executive Director of the Buffett Institute for Global Studies. This individual will succeed Bruce Carruthers, who will step down at the end of the 2017-18 school year.
I am very pleased with the strong faculty composition of the search committee, which was formed with significant input from the Faculty Senate. David Figlio, Dean of the School of Education and Social Policy and the Orrington Lunt Professor of Education and Social Policy, will chair this committee. Search committee members are:
- Héctor Carrillo, Professor, Sociology and Gender & Sexuality Studies, WCAS
- Vinayak Dravid, Abraham Harris Chaired Professor of Materials Science & Engineering; Founding Director, NUANCE Center; Founder and co-Director, Global McCormick
- Patrick Eccles, Senior Associate Director of Global Engagement Programs, Buffett Institute for Global Studies
- Matthew Johnson, Professor, Anthropology, WCAS
- Robert Murphy, John Philip Phair Professor of Infectious Diseases and Director of The Center for Global Health, Institute for Public Health and Medicine, FSM
- Wendy Pearlman, Associate Professor, Political Science and Koldyke Outstanding Teaching Professor, WCAS
- Diane Schanzenbach, Margaret Walker Alexander Professor of Human Development and Social Policy, SESP and Director, Institute for Policy Research
- Jim Speta, Professor of Law and Associate Dean for International Initiatives, Pritzker School of Law
- Chris Udry, King Professor of Economics, WCAS
- Ivy Wilson, Associate Professor, English and Director, Program in American Studies, WCAS
- Ji-Yeon Yuh, Associate Professor, History, WCAS
The committee will be staffed by:
- Andrea Bueschel, Associate Provost for Strategy and Policy
- Celina Flowers, Assistant Provost for Faculty, Office of the Provost
The search committee will begin its work immediately and will engage the broad campus community to solicit input on the desired attributes and experience of the new executive director, and to seek assistance in identifying potential prospects. The executive director will be tenurable as a faculty member at the University; will be responsible for developing, articulating, and implementing the intellectual vision and goals of the Buffett Institute; and will report directly to me.
I welcome your input on the search and invite your recommendations of potential candidates to consider for this role at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Provost and Professor