Northwestern Homecoming parade cancelled due to road work
Full slate of events Oct. 1-7 includes pep rally and football vs. Penn State
EVANSTON - Northwestern University’s annual Homecoming parade has been cancelled this year due to construction on Sheridan Road along the traditional parade route from Lincoln Street to Chicago Avenue. All other Northwestern Homecoming and Reunion programming will be held as scheduled throughout the week of Oct. 1, including the pep rally that usually follows the parade.
Homecoming week has a full slate of events scheduled Oct. 1-7. There is no alternate activity planned during the usual parade time frame. However, the pep rally on Deering Meadow, at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 6, will feature the Northwestern Marching Band, head football coach Pat Fitzgerald and President Morton Schapiro.
- Color Roar, 6:45 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 1, Deering Meadow. Students will paint the meadow and their classmates purple (and other colors) at the annual paint-throwing fundraiser, which supports the Summer Internship Grant Program this year.
- PurplePalooza carnival, noon, Thursday, Oct. 5, Deering Meadow. Enjoy a carnival atmosphere on Deering Meadow with student DJs, games and food.
- President’s Alumni Medalist Panel, 1:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 6, Norris University Center. President Morton Schapiro will host a discussion with the 2017 Northwestern Alumni Medal recipients Mara Brock Akil, John McQuown, Milton Morris and Kelly O’Donnell about how Northwestern shaped their lives and careers. Learn more about how to join the panel in person or via livestream.
- Pep rally, 6:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 6, Deering Meadow. The Northwestern Marching Band will perform, with words from head football coach Pat Fitzgerald and President Morton Schapiro. The pep rally also includes the Homecoming Royalty coronation. The Northwestern and Evanston communities are invited.
- Northwestern football vs. Penn State, 11 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 7, Ryan Field. The Wildcats host the nationally-ranked Nittany Lions and their Heisman Trophy candidate Saquon Barkley. Visit NU Sports for tickets.
For more information, see the complete Homecoming schedule.