New podcast on technological advancements and the law
- Northwestern professors discuss emergent technology, effects on the law
- Planet Lex addresses law’s role in changing landscapes
- Previous episodes on Dassey case, copyright law, corruption
CHICAGO - Emergent technology and its effects on the law is the focus of the latest episode of Planet Lex,a series of podcasts in which Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law’s Dean Daniel Rodriguez interviews faculty experts on the law’s role in our ever-changing world.
Released today, Oct. 19, the sixth episode of Planet Lex features John McGinnis, the George C. Dix Professor in Constitutional Law at Northwestern Law, and Larry Birnbaum, professor of electrical engineering and computer science at Northwestern’s McCormick School of Engineering.
The Legal Talk Network produces the podcast series, and Rodriguez, the host, interviews prominent Northwestern faculty members about the law’s role in changing global, societal and technological landscapes.
The Planet Lex podcast series launched in July.
Summary of earlier Planet Lex conversations:
- Episode 1: Steven Drizin and Laura Nirider, clinical professors in Northwestern’s Bluhm Legal Clinic’s Center on Wrongful Convictions of Youth, discuss with Rodriguez youth interrogation, false confessions and their representation of Brendan Dassey, one of the defendants featured in the hit Netflix series “Making a Murderer.” They recently helped overturn his conviction.
- Episode 2: Northwestern Law Professor Peter DiCola discusses with Rodriguez evolving music copyright law, the effect of new technology on the music industry and the impact on artists.
- Episode 3: Professors Emerson Tiller and Leslie Oster talk with Rodriguez about the need for multidisciplinary education in today’s global marketplace and the value legal knowledge can add. That includes a discussion about Northwestern Law’s Master of Science in Law program for professionals trained in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
- Episode 4: Professor Deborah Tuerkheimer talks with Rodriguez about sexual assault on college campuses and how to best combat such incidents.
- Episode 5: Northwestern Law Professor Juliet Sorensen discusses with Rodriguez regulation of public corruption.