Lunch on the Lake Along Northwestern’s Scenic Shoreline
Bring or buy BBQ lunch for live noontime outdoor concerts June 25 through July 30
EVANSTON, Ill. --- An outdoor summer concert series that begins with fiery Spanish guitars and ends with the sultry sounds of a rhythm and blues vocalist -- along with a picturesque view of the lakefront -- will soon be luring hungry music fans to “Lunch on the Lake” on Northwestern University’s Evanston campus.
Free and open to the public, the six-week Wednesday noontime series also will feature top calypso, country, jazz, rock and pop guest artists.
Presented by Northwestern’s School of Continuing Studies’ Summer Session, Norris University Center and the Center for Student Involvement, the noontime concerts will take place from June 25 through July 30, on the South Lawn of Norris University Center, 1999 Campus Drive. In the event of rain, the concert will be moved indoors and held on the ground floor of Norris Center.
The annual concert series is popular with Northwestern faculty, staff and students as well as Evanston and North Shore residents.
Audience members will have the option to purchase a barbecued lunch prepared outdoors by executive-level chefs from Northwestern Dining, the University’s food service provider, or they can bring their own lunch. Picnic table seating and free picnic pads are available.
The “Lunch on the Lake” outdoor menu, which will change weekly, will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. throughout the six-week summer outdoor concert season. The $7.50 full menu includes a choice of a grilled entree, two side portions and dessert, plus an additional $1 to $1.69 for a beverage. Other menu options also will be available. For more information, visitwww.dining.northwestern.edu .
2014 “Lunch on the Lake” concert dates and performers
- June 25 – Guitarra Azul, a Latin percussion and Spanish guitar ensemble, perform rumba, flamenco, Latin jazz and world music.
- July 2 – The Steel Drum Guy performs Caribbean calypso and Latin style music on steel drums accompanied by an instrumental background track.
- July 9 – David and Whitney are a husband-and-wife country rock and pop duo from southern Indiana.
- July 16 – The Acoustic Generation, a Chicago guitar and vocal duo, perform rock, pop and country music.
- July 23 – Chris Greene, who was born and raised in Evanston, is a Chicago jazz saxophonist.
- July 30 – Kia Harper is a Chicago rhythm and blues singer and songwriter.
CONSTRUCTION ALERT: Free parking after 4 p.m. will remain uninterrupted throughout summer construction in the vicinity of Norris Center. Handicapped and special access parking may be impacted. Visit the Northwestern construction page for more information at www.communication.northwestern.edu/tic/construction/.