Provost seeking nominations for new awards to recognize exemplary faculty service
Two awards to be made annually for outstanding service to Northwestern community
Northwestern University Provost Jonathan Holloway announced today (June 4) a $5,000 award for faculty who perform outstanding service to the University community or make significant contributions to their individual units or Northwestern.
The Provost’s Awards for Exemplary Faculty Service will recognize two full-time faculty members each year who are exemplars of good academic citizenship. Nominations for eligible faculty can be made by faculty, staff or students and should be submitted by Nov. 1.
“Faculty service is integral to faculty governance and excellence at Northwestern, yet is often performed without formal recognition or reward,” Holloway said in announcing the new award. “We want to change that dynamic and appropriately recognize the outstanding work of these faculty members.”
Nominations should clearly demonstrate how the faculty member has gone above and beyond in service that has had a substantial impact on students, faculty and/or the University — and has significantly enhanced the quality of Northwestern as an educational institution and community of scholars.
Faculty should demonstrate a record of multiple service activities or a single, major activity, over a sustained period, according to the Office of the Provost.
Examples of outstanding service by faculty include, but are not limited to:
- Application of their expertise to benefit the University.
- Participation in and service with University organizations, committees, and/or University governance.
- Exceptional engagement with and support of faculty or students.
- Significant contributions to building community in formal roles or in informal roles behind the scenes.
Teaching and research activities are excluded from consideration, as are professional and public service activities in the faculty member’s discipline, art, profession or society.
Two awards in the amount of $5,000 (taxable) each will be made each year.
For the online submission form, go to this site. Here are the details:
Full-time faculty of all ranks, including tenure-line, clinical, instructional, research and library — and in all departments or programs — are eligible for nomination. Current deans, associate deans and assistant deans are not eligible. Department chairs are eligible for service outside of their formal role as chair.
Who may nominate
Nominations may be made by faculty, students or staff. Departments and colleges may also nominate an individual. Self-nominations are not permitted.
The nomination deadline is November 1, 2018
Nominations will be reviewed by the Provost’s Office and a representative from the Faculty Senate. Questions can be directed to Joan Marie Johnson, director for faculty, Office of the Provost, email@example.com.
All nominations should be submitted using the online submission form.
Nomination form requirements
- The details of the nominee: Name of nominator, email, school, department/unit, role (faculty/staff/student/trainee), nominator’s relationship to the nominee (student, colleague, chair, etc.).
- Information about the nominee: Name of nominee, email, school, department/unit, faculty nominee’s role/title.
- A letter of nomination: The letter should explain the nature, extent and significance of the nominee’s record of extraordinary service to the unit and/or University. What impact has the nominee’s service had on the University, department/unit and/or students? (1000 words maximum).
Optional supporting documentation: This may be submitted, as well, and it may include the nominee’s CV, activity report or other details about their record of service — and up to two additional letters of support.