Skip to main content

Support Sought for Expansion Plan on Old Prentice Site

Northwestern plans new research facility on Chicago campus

Northwestern University is seeking the support of its community members for the University’s plans to build a state-of-the-art biomedical research facility on the site of the old Prentice Women's Hospital on the Chicago campus.

The City of Chicago’s Commission on Landmarks may consider giving landmark status to the old Prentice building, located at 333 E. Huron St. Doing so would prevent Northwestern from razing the building and constructing a new medical research facility. The University plans to begin construction of the new facility in 2015 if the city provides the necessary approvals.

“The new research center will help us continue to attract more of the world’s best research minds and clinicians and help secure additional research grants. It would also put our city on the map as a leader in the field of medical research, a distinction that would benefit the community as well as the University and its hospital affiliates,” said Eric Neilson, M.D., dean of Northwestern’s Feinberg School of Medicine and vice president for medical affairs.

The new medical research center would enable Northwestern to attract an additional $150 million in research grants, University officials estimate. The center also would have an annual net economic impact of $390 million for Chicago, create 2,500 construction jobs during the full build out, and add more than 2,000 new professional and high-skilled jobs for the city.

“We urgently need the support of the Northwestern community on this important initiative,” said Eugene Sunshine, senior vice president for business and finance. “An important criterion in the city’s consideration of this will be support for our plans. Therefore, we are asking members of the Northwestern community to help us in this effort.”

People can register their support by clicking on the following link. It will take you to a web site where you can easily register your support for the project and send your opinion to the appropriate city officials. Here is the link:

Editor's Picks

Back to top